- 20 mins
Delve into a world of vegan-friendly flavour with our Garlic Eggplant Vegan Stir-Fry. This dish showcases the rich, savoury taste of eggplant, infused with the bold notes of garlic and a zesty sauce. Perfectly balanced and entirely plant-based, it's a culinary delight for vegans and food enthusiasts alike
2 medium-sized eggplants, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (use tamari for a gluten-free option)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (adjust to your spice preference)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Cooked rice or noodles for serving
- Chopped green onions and sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, maple syrup or agave nectar, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for about 30 seconds until fragrant, being careful not to burn it.
- Add the eggplant pieces to the wok. Stir-fry for about 5-7 minutes until they become tender and slightly browned. If needed, you can cover the wok for a few minutes to help soften the eggplant.
- Remove the cooked eggplant from the wok and set it aside.
- In the same wok, add the remaining tablespoon of vegetable oil. Add the sliced onion and stir-fry for about 2-3 minutes until it becomes translucent and slightly caramelised.
- Return the cooked eggplant to the wok.
- Pour the sauce mixture over the eggplant and onions. Toss everything together and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until the sauce coats the vegetables evenly. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve your Garlic Eggplant Vegan Stir-Fry Wok over cooked rice or noodles.
- Garnish with chopped green onions and sesame seeds if desired.
To find tips on seasoning and cleaning our hand hammered wok, visit FAQ.