- 35 mins
Ginger and Scallion Crab is a delectable Chinese seafood dish that balances the bold flavours of ginger and scallions with the sweet and tender crab meat. Here's a recipe to help you prepare this delicious dish:
- 3 large crabs (about 2 pounds each), cleaned and cut into pieces
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, julienned
- 4-5 stalks of fresh scallions, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Shaoxing wine (or dry sherry)
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons water (for thickening)
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish (optional)
- Clean and Prepare the Crab: If you haven't already, clean and prepare the crabs by removing the top shell, gills, and any innards. Cut each crab into pieces, separating the claws and legs.
- Blanch the Crab: In a large pot of boiling water, blanch the crab pieces for about 1-2 minutes until they turn bright red. Drain and set aside.
- Stir-Fry: Heat a wok or a large wok over high heat. Add the vegetable oil and swirl it around to coat the wok.
- Aromatics: Add the minced garlic and ginger to the hot wok. Stir-fry for about 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Crab Pieces: Add the blanched crab pieces to the wok and stir-fry for a couple of minutes to coat them with the aromatic flavors.
- Deglaze with Wine: Pour in the Shaoxing wine (or dry sherry) and stir-fry for another minute.
- Seasoning: Add the light soy sauce, sugar, salt, and white pepper to the wok. Continue to stir-fry for a few minutes, making sure the crab pieces are evenly coated with the sauce.
- Scallions: Add the scallion pieces to the wok and stir-fry for another 1-2 minutes until they become slightly wilted.
- Thickening: Drizzle the cornstarch-water mixture into the wok. Stir continuously until the sauce thickens and coats the crab pieces nicely.
- Final Touch: Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. You can add a bit more soy sauce, sugar, or white pepper to suit your taste.
- Serve: Transfer the Ginger and Scallion Crab to a serving dish. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves if desired.
- Enjoy: Serve your flavourful Ginger and Scallion Crab hot, paired with steamed rice or noodles.
To find tips on seasoning and cleaning our hand hammered wok, visit FAQ.
At the heart of our family, Ginger and Scallion Crab isn't just a dish; it's a weekend tradition. When Dad rolls back home after his work travels in mainland China, Mom whips up this delightful crab delight. We pair it with ice-cold beer (even before I was technically old enough), making it a ritual that's all about the simple joys of family togetherness and love.