- 25 mins
Sesame Tofu Lettuce Cups is not just vegetarian-friendly but also a fun and interactive meal for the whole family. I love involving the kids in the kitchen, and this dish is perfect for it. They get to assemble their own lettuce cups with crumbled tofu and veggies. It's a tasty, hands-on way to introduce them to a meatless option while enjoying quality time together.
- 14 oz (400g) firm tofu, crumbled
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup grated radish
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Butter lettuce leaves, for serving
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Add the crumbled tofu and cook for about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally until it's lightly browned and has a slightly crispy texture. Remove the tofu from the wok and set it aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, minced garlic, and minced ginger. Set the sauce aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in the wok. Add the diced onion and grated carrot. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until they start to soften.
- Add the crumbled tofu back into the wok with the cooked onion and carrot. Pour the sauce over the tofu and vegetables. Toss everything together until well coated.
- Remove the wok from heat and add the chopped peanuts. Mix them into the tofu mixture.
- Place the shredded lettuce and grated radish on a serving plate. Spoon the tofu mixture onto lettuce leaves, creating individual "lettuce cups."
- Serve your Tofu Vegetarian San Choy Bao with additional peanuts and a sprinkle of sesame seeds if desired.
To find tips on seasoning and cleaning our hand hammered wok, visit FAQ.