- 80 mins
Chinese-style braised beef in Asian aromatic spices gives a melt-in-the-mouth main course. It is so delicious to serve with steamed rice and crisp stir-fried vegetables
- 1 1/2 kilograms stewing beef, cut into two-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 two-inch knob ginger julienned
- 2 bird’s eye red chili chopped
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon bark
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp Sichuan peppercorn
- 1 generous splash rice wine
- 2 cups bone broth
- 4 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 4 tbsp dark brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- Finely sliced scallions to garnish
- Sprinkle beef with flour, salt and pepper.
- Heat wok. Add oil and brown the beef in batches. Set aside
- Add more oil, toss in ginger, garlic, scallions, chilis, cinnamon bark, star anise, cloves, fennel seeds and Sichuan peppercorns. Cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about two minutes.
- Pour in the rice wine.
- Scape the bottom of the wok to loosen the brown bits. Allow the rice wine to almost evaporate, about a minute.
- Return the browned beef to the pan. Pour in the broth and soy sauce. Add the sugar. Stir. Taste the sauce and add salt, as needed.
- Bring everything to a boil. Then turn down the heat to simmer for about 60 minutes using low heat. Add water if needed.
To find tips on seasoning and cleaning our hand hammered wok, visit FAQ.