- 35 mins
An absolute favorite among our younger family members. Perfect dish for birthday parties and other meeting together meals.
- 2 pound pork butt or leaner pork belly
- 1 ½ tablespoons salt, divided
- 1 tablespoons chinese cooking wine
- 1 tablespoons sichuan peppercorn
- 1 tablespoons oyster sauce
- Oil for deep-frying
- Coating Batter
- 1 pound sweet potato starch
- ½ tablespoons white pepper
- 5 middle size eggs
- 1/3 cup water if required
- Mix sweet potato starch with ½ tablespoon of salt in a large bowl. Add eggs and water gradually until the batter is running. Add water if the batter is too thick. Set aside.
- Cut the pork butt into small strip. Marinate with salt, chinese cooking wine, oyster sauce, white pepper and Sichuan peppercorn for at least 30 mins, best overnight.
- Heat oil to 320 ºF (160ºC) in a wok. Dip the pork strip into the batter and slide it into the wok. Fry for around 3 minutes over medium fire until lightly browned. Transfer out and strain oil.
- Heat oil to 390 ºF (200ºC) , place the fried pork in for a second fry. Quickly fry for 20 to 30 seconds until golden brown.
To find tips on seasoning and cleaning our hand hammered wok, visit FAQ.